Re: Footnote Size problem

** Reply to note from Annie Mon, 12 Jun 2000 04:08:21 -0400 (EDT)

> << Simple it is. Flexible it isn't. If you're content
> to use bitmapped fonts, you're fine. If you want to use
> scalable fonts, fuhget it. Annie was right about a lot
> of things, and one thing she harped on was the crumminess
> of Xy3 PRN files, and the obvious solution: PostScript.
> Fortunately, in Xy4+, you've got all these facilities at
> your disposal (Speedo, TrueType, Adobe, also including your
> solution--if bitmaps are adequate). --Robert Holmgren

> Hello? Don't you just *love* having words put in your mouth?

Right! What to select? Hmmm: here's something from 3 March '98:

"I probably should note that, ever heedful of Mr Natural's
advice to use the right tool for the job, in terms of
printing I regard xyWrite as a text editor I can use to
print correspondence and such; if readying anything where
I'll do much in the way of typographical effects, I regard
xyWrite as only the place to prep text before exporting
to dtp or a gui word processor as at home in its environment
as xyWrite (and alas, xyWin) are in dos."

You've said it many many times, that "elderly" XyWrite is rejuvenated by
Postscript -- presumably we're talking about printing services here. Just trying
to give credit where due! Let's face it, we all know that printing is XyWrite's
weakest aspect -- and the weaknesses become ever more glaring as time leaves it
behind. Hey, I'm agreeing with you: PostScript revives this antique. And
further, if you hadn't put the forceful case that Postscript was much more than
a bunch of Type 1s, I never would have delved into the language. It comes as a
revelation to read the fat manual (PLRM) and realize that they scarcely
mention fonts.

> as I understand PCL, fonts *are* scalable. If you
> don't know how to scale them, Robert, that doesn't mean v3 can't.

Well, I know how to put 37 different PT= assignments in a PRN file, each with
its large set of inflexible relationships between fonts, sizes, and attributes
-- if that's what you mean. And highly intuitive too -- you just know right off
that PT=9 is going to give you 14-point Garamond! That's "scaling" with more
baggage than scale. You can have it.

Anyway, it's summer, I'm turning off my computer in four hours, and I bid you all
adieu until September. Time for detox.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx