Re[2]: Re[2]: insufficient memory msg

> Carl: Your suggestion about launching Xy 4 with expanded memory of up
> to 4 megs seemed to work for me only when I launched Xy 4 from the DOS
> prompt. To do so by clicking on a Windows desktop icon, I believe I
> have to change the Expanded Memory in Properties to 4096. I was unable
> to launch Xy 4 by changing the Properties Program screen because it
> would not accept the Editor/e4000 without the .exe.

Robert Holgrem's reply:
>It's one thing to make 4Mb of EMS available for the session via the OS,
>quite another to tell XyWrite to utilize it. "/e4000" is an argument;
>so if you're launching via an icon, put it on the argument line, not on
>the same line as the "Program" name (EDITOR)! (I haven't got Win95
>running now, but when you're filling out an icon template surely there
>are separate specs for program, arguments, and working directory...)

Here's the way it works for me. The Properties Program box in Windows 95 will
accept the addition of /e4000, as in C:xy4\editor /e4000.exe, but the next time
you pull up Properties Program the /e4000 is gone. The way to get the 4 megs of
expanded memory is to go to the Properties Memory box and change the number to
4096. Then, be sure to click on Apply and then OK. I initially failed to check
Apply and the change didn't take, but it does now. And, at Carl's suggestion,
you can check this by having XyWrite 4 running, then going to the DOS prompt and
typing mem/c. Now all I havr to do is figure out why I need the extra memory.

Jim Eberle
jeberle@xxxxxxxx