shorthand typing

from Morris,

  I use xywrite shorthand capabilites extensively. Though I am a touch
typist, I type in shorthand for all words I know the shortform for but do
not expand it using the ctrl key. Although I could assign the function AR to
the space bar and punctuation keys, I prefer to have the shortforms expanded
in one foul swoop when I feel I have entered sufficient text. The xpl
program that I wrote to do this also capitalizes the first word of a
sentence and paragraph.

  As my spl shorthand file contains mostly root words, I have added the
"ch" replace commands to add say an "s" for pluralizing a certain word. When
using "s" for example, I add other eventualities such as \ s.\ s,\ 's\ to
become any one of the following \s.\s,\'s\. If the root word is "cause" and
my abbreviation is "cz" then I will inset a space between "cz" and the
"s"
when typing. Should "cause" come at the end of a sentence then by adding
"s." after "cz", the expansion will automatically be "causes.",
otherwise
"cz" "s" will become "causes"..... The change replace command
"ch" can
safely be used where no change takes place at the end of the root word. For
instance "delt" for "delight" will become "delightful" by using
"ch" \
ful\ful\ providing we type "delt ful".

  As I do a great deal of my typing on pda's "Palm Pilot" and a "Psion" in
bed or when I am away from my desktop, I type in shorthand when using these
instruments. I do have a notebook, but as the screen has become very fuzzy,
I no longer use it or have plans at the moment to replace it.
 The upshost if you intend using this useful XyWrite feature, you should see
that your shorthand file contains mostly root words as it can become wieldy
if you add every occurence of a root with its range of suffixes.

  By typing in this fashion typing text becomes more interesting and one
learns valuable facts about words, their roots and possible suffixes.
 For a program to be written that will take into account those root words
that lose the end letter when a certain suffix is added, one will have to
know what words fall into this category. For instance, "comply" will lose
the "y" when "iance" is added thus becoming "compliance".

 The computer shorthand program PRD+ had such a feature, but it is difficult
to use this **"terminate and stay resident program" (TSR) with XyWrite
because of memory restraints.

   **Also known as a Memory Resident Program. A program that loads into
memory and remains there, but returns control to Dos, allowing other
programs to be run. Most of these programs can be popped up by pressing a
hot key.