Re: NB 8 and U2

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sun, 01 Jan 2006
02:24:13 -0500

> PROCEXP allows you easily to kill the
> process by just clicking on a toolbar icon.

Don't use the toolbar icon. Right-click on the NTVDM in the Upper Pane, then
you can either kill just the one process, or the whole process tree
hierarchically listed (indented) under it -- which is a useful distinction,
maybe not for this particular program, but in general. Plus, the context menu
gives many other useful options not available from the toolbar.

> b) [Remove] any kbd assignment with an ampersand call to a program--e.g.:
>  nn=&m

All the NB overlays are loaded to Alt-letter Save/Gets -- take a look at the
[Startup] stanza in NB.INI (in [NBroot]\users\default). Alt-C is among the
overlays so loaded. You can't promiscuously use the Alt-letter Save/Gets --
not unless you elect to *not load* the NB overlays. (That's what I do, but
that also disables a ton of Toolbar functionality, so unless you understand the
consequences and are prepared to use NB merely as a word processing engine
driven from the CMline, then... don't do it. I mean, obviously, if you like to
make Outlines, then the NB Frameworks tool is going to be helpful -- and you'll
need the overlays!)

> a) any ascii 00 (this may be hard to locate, because searching in Xy
> with ctrl-shift 00 doesn't search for a one-byte ascii 00)

I don't know what "Ctrl-Shift 00" does and neither does anybody else. What
does "00" mean? If you're trying to search for char zero, it would be "0" --
single zero -- if it worked. But no factory service can find Ascii-zero; you
can do it via U2, however, e.g. frame CHECK32-127 accepts an optional argument
to search for a 1-byte character by number, even if it is embedded within a
3-byte character:
 CHECK32-127 0 <==search for 1-byte zero
So you could open your KBD file, position cursor at TOF, and run this frame, to
see if there is indeed a 1-byte zero in the file (most unlikely). To do this,
you need a refresh of U2 v119 that has been posted today.

Another reliable way to find zeroes in files is to LIST the file (with
LIST.COM), toggle into hex mode (Alt-H), then search (F, then F3 on subsequent
"find agains") for "{space}00{space}".

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx