NB as Xy

I have finished following Robert's wonderful video for making NB behave
like XyWrite for Windows. It explains a lot about the innards of NB 8.
For those yet to watch it: if you want to pause it, as I did many times,
just either hit a key or click with the mouse on the screen--that's a
toggle, so doing it again resumes it. Also, when it is paused, you can use
the arrow keys to back it up a few seconds at a time (much easier and more
controlled than trying to move the slider with your mouse).

I have two questions regarding NB-as-Xy:
1. I'm not sure what to do about the Alt-key table. If I just comment out, with the semicolon, the contents of the table, will I retain the functionality of the other Alt tables (e.g., alt+shift), without conflicts with NB? I tried it and I got functionality for my alt-shift F, even though alt-F is used by NB to activate the File menu. But something else I did (I'm not sure what) made NB think the alt-key was depressed and it went sort of crazy (bringing up IDKEY.PM for instance) until I hit alt by itself. So I'm wondering if I have the real solution by just commenting out the under contents of the TABLE=ALT. BTW, I also commented out the line:
TABLE=ALT
itself. (Actually I use "ALTX" instead of "ALT".)
2. In the XyWWWeb Readme, it talks about changing CHARUPDT.TBL as a way of avoiding the CA/100 issue. Is there any downside to doing this? I'm worried that I'm going to forget to use the /100 switch sometime.

My great appreciation to Robert for the video.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx