Re: U2 for date last saved

Reply to note from "Robert Holmgren"  Sat, 8
Sep 2007 17:25:39 -0400

Robert:

> To each his own. His proposal certainly works. I guess I
> disagree mainly with the characterization of FILEINFO's date
> retrieval as a "kludge". There are lots of over-the-top
> kludges in U2 (one might also call them inventive solutions, if
> so inclined), but FILEINFO at least uses entirely native
> facilities of XyWrite.

By "kludge" I mean that the SAve date (and, even more, the SAve
time) that FILEINFO stuffs into a S/G is liable to become stale as
soon as the file is again SAved -- you have to run FILEINFO
repeatedly to ensure that the S/G has the current info. Whereas an
embedded  or  is updated automatically every time the
screen refreshes. That hands-off capability is VAlue-added, so to
speak. As for "native facilities" -- well, you can't get more
native than VA.

Yes, DocInfo is baggage. But it's baggage with wheels, easily shed
with DelDI and, now, easily restored, on demand, with AddDI. Once
you have both of these routines in U2, it becomes trivial to swap in
DocInfo during printing, then out again:
nn=JM2,.,A,d,d,D,I,Q2BXt,y,Q2BXw,a,i,t,Q2JM2,.,D,e,l,D,I,Q2 .

But, yes, to each his own. Or, as Patricia would say, suum cuique.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx