Page-Line Pains

HS-> >It's called page-line view, and the cursor movements are subtle
 -> >encouragements to use the Xy 4 "draft view."

HS->  Right -- except that there aren't supposed to pages of only two or three
 -> lines. Besides, the draft view doesn't give you line numbering at the top
 -> which is nice to have so you know how close to being done you are. Easy
 -> enough to toggle back and forth, I guess, but one should be able to expect
 -> that any of the views would work correctly. I do notice that the double lin
 -> goes away for a bit if you toggle to draft view, then back. And why doesn't
 -> it do that all the time? Seems like only after working on a long paper for
 -> awhile -- does XY get tired?

Two or three lines a page would be *very* discouraging. Have you
set any large spacing amounts around the text or any page breaks?

The double-line, I believe, is the default end-of-page symbol,
which can be changed by a default, but why it's there at all is
beyond me. I find the page-line counter sufficient without the
visual reminder, which is plain distracting. And even if the
end-of-page symbol is set to naught, I've no idea on its effect
on XPL (too lazy to find out).

I prefer the plain page-line numbers, especially when testing
programs, so that when they crash I can figure out more easily
how far into the file a program would get. As you say, it's
simple enough to switch back & forth, but it is annoying to have
to do so. It's one of the reasons I prefer Xy3+ for most of my
work.

However, I was interested when you mentioned that switching
printers (from Strip to Panasonic, I think) removed the cursor
jump. I compared the defaults between Strip and an HP driver, but
I couldn't come up with anything to account for the jump. Perhaps
the Panasonic puts you into draft view?

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx