Re: How many of us are there left?

Reply to note from Raphael  Sun, 07 Dec 2014
16:37:02 -0500

> Just recently moved to Vim (a nod to Russ U. for the nudge)
> where I am happy as I've ever been with Xy.

Interesting, Rafe. When my XP machine was on its last legs I
anticipated making a similar move. I revisited Emacs and found (as I
had many years earlier) that I couldn't get comfortable with it. Vim
was next on my list, but now that vDos has made it possible to
integrate Xy-DOS with 64-bit Windows, it's become a much lower
priority, if not totally moot. My basic problem with Emacs and other
programmer-oriented editors is that they're, at the core, line
editors, whereas XyWrite, whatever its perceived limitations, is,
first and last, a paragraph editor. And as I tend to think, however
prosaically, in paragraphs, this, along with its customizability,
lifts Xy to the level of a thought-processor for me. I suppose I
could get to the same place with another capable editor, and I may
still look into Vim based on its reputation and evdiently thriving
user community, but life is short and art is proverbially long, and
two years after I first cracked it I'm still only into Chapter 2 of
À la recherche du temps perdu....

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx