Re: How many of us are there left?

Emacs always kind of scared me, mostly probably thanks to the superior
tone of its users, so I never got near it. It took me a couple of years
to not be frightened of nano, the default editor in naked Linux, so I
know what you mean about line-centered editing. But Vim's
paragraph-editing nature really is precisely like XyWrite -- more so
(forgive me), at least in *nix, since carriage returns break paragraphs,
not lines. The trick is getting the hang of its primary modes: the
somewhat counterintuitively-named "normal" -- which is really "edit";
"insert," which I think of as "writing." Normal mode features lots of
speedy one- and two-keystroke commands for moving and manipulating text
and cursor (maybe something like WordStar, which I never used), and is
also the gateway to the "command colon" -- normally at the bottom of the
screen, though I would be very surprised if it can't be moved to the top.
As content as I was using XyWrite, it's reassuring to use a tool which
apart from offering everything I need, is firmly rooted in the guts of
the OS -- eliminating anxiety about the vagaries of emulation down the road.
I'm absolutely certain that if your XyWrite is not broken there is no
need for you to fix it, Carl. On the other hand, it probably took me
twenty tries to get through Swann's Way Lord knows how long ago, but
I've reread A le recherche twice now, and look forward to the next few
goes -- once you get on it, it's like floating down an idyllic river,
and no place you'd rather be.

-Rafe