Lines in Startup.Int

Can someone tell me if there is a way to comment out lines in a
Startup.Int file temporarily, e.g., for testing purposes ? I have tried
spaces (and possibly nulls -- can't remember), tabs, semi-colons (as in
a .KBD file) -- all to no avail. There will still be an error of some
kind at load, possibly even one that messes up the Startup file from
doing what it should. Of course, when I've tried this, I've always
replace a commented out line's BC or BX etc. with a non-functional, non
program call one. The line remains as plain text just to remind me what
was there, and where its position was in the Startup file. I'm looking
for a way to have any such lines be totally ignored.

Jordan