Re: XYWRITE AND S

On Mon, 27 Feb 1995, Harmon F Seaver wrote:

> And you think there aren't in WP? I have to use that at work -- god,
> what a dog! As much as I hate to say it, MS-Word is better than WP.

No doubt there are bugs. But I haven't encountered any in a week of use.
And I'm getting cleaner conversions from E-mail in WP than I was
with XyWrite--although going in the reverse direction has not
proven as reliable.

> If WP is the future, I'll go back to XY3 -- hey, it works, it works
> well, no problems, it's faster than anything on the market, and running it
> under OS/2 gives you anything a windoz editor has. Speaking of the future --
> why do you want a windoz app anyway? That's certainly not the future. Have
> you tried Describe? Or ClearLook? I think I'd use Emacs before I'd switch to
> WP.

I don't believe OS/2 will make it in the marketplace, although it
 probably is a superior product. I'm tired of using offbeat
software that may be technologically superior, but is not
supported by developers, which I think will continue to be the
story with OS/2.
I still own a copy of Signature, with the IBM manuals, so I know
something about IBM's marketing skills.

I switched to Windows because I found that the fax capability of
plain DOS was severely limited. Without any fine tuning, I'm
already way ahead, using WinFax pro. I know there are problems
with Windows, but I haven't encountered them yet. My experiment
with Wordperfect (the competitive upgrade is cheap) has
surprised me; not nearly as bad as people have warned.
It integrates very nicely with the other Windows programs I've
purchased.

I'm not saying I'm ready to abandon XyWrite. But I'm definately
heading in that direction--and TTG isn't doing much to convince
me to stick around.