Re: XYWRITE AND S

>they do not support current products--there are acknowledged
bugs in >XY/DOS 4X that they apparently have no intention of
fixing. I am

  And you think there aren't in WP? I have to use that at work
-- god, what a dog! As much as I hate to say it, MS-Word is
better than WP.

>WP/Win is a shock for XyWriters. It's clearly slower, although a
fast >machine makes a big difference. The thesaurus and speller
are a big >step down from XyWrite.

  That's for sure! I can't figure out how you can even tolerate
it, or even dream of wanting to put it on your home machine.

>On the other hand: everything seems to work. The "restore
session" >feature, which I could never get to work properly in
XyWrite even with >tech support, worked right out of the box
with WP/Win. The printing >control is superb. The autoreplace
feature works as well as XyWrite's.

No -- everything doesn't work. I have to use both 6 and 5.1
(on two different machines in two offices a floor apart) and just try putting a WP
6.0a file in 5.1 once. I convert it, of course, with 6.0a first
(6.0a is the lastest version, BTW, there is no 6.1) and then,
voila -- big junks of text are miracuously removed. Very neatly
too, no muss, no weird garbage, just gone. As for the print
control -- I spend an hour or two last week trying to figure out
why an eleven page file kept stopping printing on page 4 and
started printing weird characters -- just a few -- at the top of
many blank pages. Isn't it wonderful how they don't tell you what
the formatting codes really are?

>XyWrite, I feel treasonous. But hey, it's the future, and TTG apparently
>isn't ready to meet it.

  If WP is the future, I'll go back to XY3 -- hey, it works, it
works well, no problems, it's faster than anything on the market,
and running it under OS/2 gives you anything a windoz editor has.
Speaking of the future -- why do you want a windoz app anyway?
That's certainly not the future. Have you tried Describe? Or
ClearLook? I think I'd use Emacs before I'd switch to
WP.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx