Re: XYWRITE digest 1296 - Accent Marks

Bill,

I wonder if you'd mind a bit of basic tutoring. I'm writing a book in which I'm using some Romanized Japanese, so the only accent I need is a macron, and we're only dealing with the letters a,e,o, and u, lower and upper cases.

I can modify my kbd file to get a substitute character to print out -- and O with a umlaut, for example, but I have not idea how to alter the substitution tables in the printer file to make the O with the umlaut give me an O with a macron. I tried following your examples but could not get the printer to give me the result. Even when I copy your strings exactly, just to test my printer, I can't get them to work. Which substitution table do I use and what do the identifiers mean, SU: 0E, 0, for example. I've read the customization guide and still can't translate the labels.

Another thing I noticed, I can print out an O with an umlaut in NM mode, but when I switch to italics, the printer gives me a U with an acute.

At all events, the good news is that I'm using an HPIIIP, so our printer files should be alike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Michael Norman

=========WORK==================================
Michael Norman
Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
New York University
10 Washington Place
New York, NY 10003
212-998-7864