Re: Windows 2000 question

Flash wrote:
Bob,
I'm running Xy3 in w2k, both tower and notebook. If you get in touch with me on my private email address, we can compare startup.int files and w2k settings.
I can't promise you'll get good full screen fonts, but we should at
least get it running quickly. I've got a 38x30cm LCD monitor on the
tower and fonts in full screen mode are not pretty to look at, but
windowed mode is quite readable.

Flash,
Bob Ashley is traveling and away from his PC this week. I've been in contact with him off list and even by phone. He prefers to run windowed mode, so we needn't worry about the full-screen font and size issues. I got him to send me dir listings of his two Xy III directories (recall that he created a second setup with the later version of Editor.exe) and of both versions of startup.int. What isn't clear from what he sent me is whether one of the directories is nested inside the other or whether they're each an independent dir off the root of C:\ (I'm assuming that, like 90% of users, he's got everything on C:. Grr!).
His problem is that the new setup runs nice and fast (the original was
very slow), but when he tries to print he gets a "path not found"
message. The new one has renamed editor.exe to XEDITOR.exe (because he
renamed the old version XXEDitor.exe). With that vague recollection of
a manual warning not to rename editor.exe in my mind, my first thought
was that that was the source of his problem. On the other hand,
running III in 1 Gb of RAM it doesn't seem likely he'd be swapping to
disk. (Not, of course, that a DOS app can access a Gb of RAM, but...)
He says the printer works OK under Windows, and it is connected to a
parallel port.
After a frantic search, I have finally found my stash of Xy disks,
including a working copy of III. Let me see if I can re-create his
setup, at least in terms of structure, on the W2K box. Problem is,
I've forgotten all the III keystrokes (I switched to CUA keyboard with
4, years ago).

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx