Re: Conversion Dilemmas - Report

P-Kube:

I have these .flt files in my d:\xyw\filters directory:
DATABASE FLT     250   2-05-96  1:23am
SPREAD  FLT     364   2-05-96  1:23am
TEXTIN  FLT    1743   2-05-96  1:23am
TEXTOUT  FLT    1851   2-05-96  1:23am

 and I have none of the conversion problems you describe. Yes,
newer Word versions sometimes refuse to read XY-generated RTF
properly, but in that case I crank up my "Word 6", save as RTF
there, and voila.

The situation where "Word" puts 1 letter on 1 page and creates
million-page files is familiar. Apparently, Word sometimes
reads page size commands in a strange way. In that case you just
open "Word", click on "Page setup" and adjust the settings (which
often look like: gutter 5 inch, bottom margin 9 inch, and similar
nonsense). A voila.

To ditch XYwrite because its format is not "up to date" or some
such sounds bizarre. I mean, how clean can a format be? XYwrite
is pure text with some minimilistic and easily-removed code
instructions in it.

I very much suggest there is also a wetware problem at your British
typesetting shop involved. Can't you find another contact person there
to talk to?

--Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
--"It is astonishing that those who spent decades recounting the
--'lessons of Vietnam' have themselves failed to heed those lessons."
--J.Schlesinger "I didn't inhale." B.Clinton