Re: U2 version 119

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Mon, 09
Jan 2006 19:13:18 -0500

> I owe you answers to one more of your emails last night/early
> this morning.

>> Preparatory to getting printing to work, get a *fresh copy* of POSTGHST.PRN
>> dated 6 Sept 2005:
>>  http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/postghst.zip
>> (also at:)
>>  http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/postghst.zip

> Got it the other day. Haven't unzipped it yet.

Well, get it again. I was surprised last night to find a copy of POSTGHST.PRN
from anno 2000 still in one of those ZIPfiles; I thought I had updated them
back in September. In any case, I added a *much* better test file yesterday --
something you can print to verify that your Ghostscript installation is working
properly. UnZIP all files in postghst.zip into Editor's directory. This new
version of POSTGHST.PRN really works beautifully. Your ultimate goal is to be
able to print to a Windows printer, if I understand correctly.

In answer to some of your other questions:

> FYI, neither defaults nor properties has an "apply" button or a
> "permanent" query. Just an ok button.

I do not use XP day-to-day. I could go into the other room and use it, but its
a PITA, so I don't. Just guessing here. There are minor differences with
Win2K. You won't ever see a "permanent" query unless you change a value, but
that *is* a "feature" of XP also.

> Working: C:\xy4, with xy lower case--does it matter?

No. Not in this case. But sometimes case does matter. With ZIP and UNZIP,
for example, it matters. So it's always a good habit to mimic exactly whatever
DIR declares to be the UPPER/lower case of a path or filename. In XyWrite, of
course, you need to use 8.3 conventions; under NT, the DIR /X switch reports
both the long name AND the 8.3 equivalent of any filename.

Ready to get printing working?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx