XPL under Xy4

To Annie Fisher:

I don't know PostScript, but I had a lot of XPL code under III+ which I ported
(little by little, over a period of many months) to Signature, and thence to
XyWrite 4. The best single guide I know of to the version 4 changes -- there
are many fine enhancements which you'll greatly appreciate if you do much XPL
programming -- is not, strictly speaking, XyWrite documentation; it's the
booklet entitled "Making the Transition" that came with Signature (the
ill-starred predecessor to Xy4). The Xy4 Customization Guide may be helpful,
too, but I don't remember just how helpful. Alas, neither of these books is
all *that* helpful. (Where is Herb Tyson when we really need him?)

Since you've written some XPL, you might benefit by looking initially at some
of the simpler routines in my SMARTSET package (SMARTS24.ZIP); also, the
DOCumentation and routines in REORGNIZ.ZIP, by Robert Holmgren and me; also
Holmgren's PRSEFRM2.ZIP. All of these files can be downloaded from the File
Transfer/User Upload section of The Technology Group BBS
(410-576-8806; N,8,1).

If you run into a rock wall once you get into all of this, I'd be happy to
share some TNT (Tips 'n' Techniques) with you. Good luck!

Carl Distefano
70154.3452@xxxxxxxx