Re: Editing Footnotes

 Dear SysOp: Lemme clarify this Footnote problem:

 >When you edit your footnote, it automatically switches to a
 >Formatted (SP) view, or at least gives the appearance of doing
 >so, despite the view present in the mother document?

 Well, hmmm, now I'm confused. The Footnote Window automatically acquires
(mimics) whatever Display Type is current in the "mother window". In my case
this is always VA$DT=1 (straight draft mode, because faster than Page-Line "SP"
mode $DT=2). In eXPanded mode ($DT=0), or in any mode with Markers turned off
($DT=8, 9, 10), you can't use func EF anyway -- so we're just talking $DT=1 or
2.

 >Before I check any other settings, can you tell me what your default
 >DT setting is and whether you have set lines to automatically wrap
 >in Draft view?

 My default DT=0. Not relevant! Default WF=0. Why is that relevant? I don't
want lines to wrap and thereby screw up page breaks . . . Hmmm. I think I
misunderstood WF! It says in Xy4 CG p.39 that WF=1 displays text within screen
borders "in draft view and in expanded view". How could WF have an effect on
Expanded view? Expanded view never displays beyond the bounds of the screen --
period. Then it says that WF has "no effect on formatted or graphic view."
What is the distinction between "draft view" and "formatted view"? For ten
years those terms have been synonymous. My recollection is, that when WF=1 was
first introduced (I don't think it was part of Signature -- wasn't it new with
Xy4?), the wrap fu screwed up the page breaks. But wrap now disables when
Page-Line is toggled into effect. (Looks like WF=1 is the setting for me!
Thanks loads.)

 It remains the case that the FM command does not affect the Footnote Window as
it displays on-screen. For example, state an IP command within your FM
command; it will not apply in the Command Window that displays the footnote.
It's hard to believe that the elements of the FM command were not intended to
be reflected on-screen!