Re: Clipboard and XyDos (was xy windows)

>You can't use XYDOS to copy to or from Windows programs.

Actually, you *can* use the Windows clipboard--with limited results--with
XYDOS if you have Xy in a DOS window (not full screen). I've long done
this with Xy3 in both Win3.1 and Win95; and I just tested it with Xy4 in
Win95 and it behaves the same.

By "limited results" I mean that you only paste text, no formatting. And
if you select text FROM Xy to paste, you're actually selecting a
rectangle of text (much like Xy's column define); so when you paste it
somewhere else there are "artificial" line breaks. But it works!

I don't know if this is unique to my machine or not, but here's how to do
it:
1. Put Xy in a DOS box (hit Alt+Enter to toggle from fullscreen mode)
2. Click the icon in the UL corner of the DOS box, then click Edit.
3a. To select text to be clipped, click Mark
	Then, using the mouse, clig/drag a rectangle around the text you want to
select
	To copy the text to the Windows clipboard, click the icon, Edit, Copy
(or just hit Enter, as it says)
3b. To paste, click, uh... Paste.

Of course, one could always define the text in Xy, use SAD to create a
new file, then call up the file in, say, Notepad--a Windoze program--and
paste it from there. Assuming your defined block is straight text, with
no embedded codes, this works flawlessly. The same goes for pasting in
the other direction. Since Notepad works with .TXT files, it's a nice
intermediary.

Timothy Olson
Editorial/Technical Assistant
Tyndale House Publishers