XP DosBox creepers (virtual pc).

1. I promised Martin Osborne and a handful of others to report on my
trials of Virtual PC on XP, this as an alternative to dual booting to
98SE. I have not been on campus since January, where the machine and
program are waiting, and I apologize if anyone was left hanging, so to
speak. I'll be back in six weeks and will take a day to install it, then
report. Meanwhile if anyone else had tried it, many here would like to
hear.

2. Meanwhile, re screen *flicker* NotaBene tech support reports:
In all versions of NB for Windows up to and including version 6.0 (starting
with version 5 [but also in SmartWords before it]), when editing on a line,
both that line, as well as the previous one, is rewritten. Although in most
instances, and on most machines, this is not noticeable, apparently it is
for you. (The flicker in version 5.5 is thus identical to the flicker in
6.0).
In version 6.1 we introduced a different flicker, whereby (again, only in
some contexts, and on some machines) the entire screen flickered as you
edited. It is this flicker which has been addressed in version 6.1.1. In
this new release, we have reverted to the screen rewrite mechanism used in
earlier versions. That means that the new release should function much as
version 5.5 currently does for you.
However, we are in the process of completely rewriting our screen-drawing
code so as to address even this lesser flickering, since, while it is not an
issue for everybody, it is for some people. [Rewrite should be done at the end of the summer, they report.]

Michael Norman