Re: XP DosBox creepers (virtual pc).

Michael Norman wrote:

> 1. I promised Martin Osborne and a handful of others to report on my
> trials of Virtual PC on XP, this as ....... Meanwhile if anyone else
> had tried it, many here would like to hear.

  I have been using VMWare for a few weeks, off and on. (I bought it
for the equivalent of around US$100, which was described as an "academic
price".) It works well, but ...
1. It wasn't easy to install W98. I succeeded only when I used *both*
the W98 CD and the W98 floppy.
2. It doesn't automatically give access to files on your real c: drive.
As the documentation says, if you know how Windows networking, you can
set up that access. (Unfortunately, the manual says little more...)
3. XyWrite is not quite as smooth as it is on a W98 machine. (It's
much, much smoother than it is under W2K, though.)
4. W2K now refuses to acknowledge the existence of my floppy drive.
(W98, within VMWare, sees it fine.)
5. The VMWare installation suggested disabling the autorun feature of my
CD-ROM drive, which I did. I rarely use the drive, so I don't know the
implications.

  On another front: David Thomas has been working on Tame. He sent me
a new release that fixes the problem with the cursor keys. This release
also seems to make other key response worse. After my report, he worked
on it more and put a new public version on his site. I haven't yet had
time to check it out.

--
Martin J. Osborne
Department of Economics