Re: XY on tiny screen (OT)

Si Wright wrote:
The ASUS seemed like too many compromises, especially the hard-drive size.
Jon Pareles
The attempt to create a usable but small and light PC inevitably,
IMO, founders on the rocks of human anatomy. Anything small and
lightweight enough to be easily carried is going to have a
keyboard too small for normal adult humans to type on, and a
screen too small to read intelligibly on. I'm not just talking
about the problem of font size, esp. for myopic old bats like
moi. I'm talking about the fact that intelligent, literate adults
are used to reading in great swaths: to be compelled to scroll
down (or worse, left or right) every 10 lines is intellectually
crippling.
Perhaps the industry should give up, and concentrate on creating
a portable system unit; with the developments in miniaturization
--e.g. the Atom chip and solid state drives--that becomes a real
possibility. And then persuade every conceivable gathering and
lounging spot to have keyboard, monitor, and mouse setups to
which one could connect one's pocket system unit. Not ideal, but
perhaps better than trying to type on something of a size meant
for a Hobbit.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx