Re: XY on tiny screen (OT)

I missed JC Fox's post about the ASUS.

About the same dimensions as the ASUS EEE, and not as inexpensive--but with Windows XP, 1.2 GHz
processor, 1GB RAM, 60GB drive and 1280 x 768 screen resolution, instead of the lower specs of the
ASUS--is my other newish small computer, the Fujitsu P1610. 5 hours battery life, more or less, with
the extended-life Fujitsu battery (which sticks out about 3/4 inch), another $100. The internal
wireless card, from Atheros, picks up more networks than any other card I've had in various
computers.

Everyone who sees this computer wants it. I discovered it from someone sitting next to me at an
airport. Gadget lust.

You can find it on Ebay for about $800, sometimes from Fujitsu itself in quickie three-day auctions.
(Some have Vista--watch out.) The P1620, same dimensions, has a supposedly faster dual-core
processor, but I'm satisfied with the P1610.

http://tech.yahoo.com/ps/fujitsu-lifebook-p1610/1994440437

XY4 runs under XP with a minuscule cursor lag--really minor, not particularly bothersome to me. In
August, when I have time to play, I'm going to try TAME with it. Right now I'm using it with Lucida
Console, not my favorite font, at 20, because the Raster fonts were a little too small. TAME will
provide more font choices.

The higher screen resolution is a mixed blessing, I guess, since the lower-res ASUS would show XY4
and Windows programs with larger fonts. Windows programs without display options are sometimes
squint-inducing. But I like this computer quite a bit. The ASUS seemed like too many compromises,
especially the hard-drive size.

Jon Pareles