Re: NBWin and U2 routine GetXyOs workaround

** Reply to note from Mary Bernard  on
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:09:04 +0100

≫In your case, you'd put the following on a separate line of INT:
≫≪SV652,W98≫;*;

> Why on a separate line?

For visual clarity, for the opportunity to comment it if you want, and to
minimize the possibility of introduced error. My experience is that when you
propose public code tweaks, its best to keep them clean and distinct. But
there is no technical reason at all -- put it anywhere you want, as long as
it's ahead of any other U2 call that might want to know what OpSys you're
running (in the absence of valid content in 652, the frame would call GetXyOS,
and you'd be right back where you started).

Mary, we really need to work on integration with NBWin. Under NBWin v6.0, I
looked at this code a couple nights ago, and not only reproduced the problem,
but isolated some bugs in NBWin's processing of XPL. I can (and happily will,
if you're interested) give you code snippets that work in some contexts and
bomb in others, with utter unreliability and unpredictability. And even when
they DO work, when I subsequently try to shut NBWin down, I get a trap in
SWS.DLL. The conclusion that I'm drawing is that NBWin's implementation of XPL
is not tight. And I've come to that conclusion repeatedly, from a dozen
different directions, since NBWin was first released. Believe me, if it
weren't so, I'd be using NBWin every day. It just isn't suitable for
heavy-lifting, IMO.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx