Xy and archive bit (was XyWrite & Windows 2000)

Martin, as you have learned, a directory with an "on" archive bit
is unreadable by XyW. But you should also know that in many cases
even a single file within a directory blocks access to the entire
dir by XyW.

Any time you copy a file from one place to another, the archive
bit gets turned on. (I think this also happens with some/most
backup programs.)

There's an easy fix: a DOS program called attr.com. It can turn
off the archive bit on all files and dirs across an entire drive.
The last line in all my batch files that involve copying contain a
line like "attr /d/q/s/y/ -a D:" (the /d option means include dirs,
and /s means search subdirs). Autoexec.bat ends with similar entries
for all drives.

A search for attr.zip should turn up several download sites.

  -otis
Business Week