Re: XYWRITE digest 1120

Thanks to Carl for explaining about the hazards of mail. The thing is, I
don't think the proprietary e-mail app this service (Juno) uses has a
quoted-printable box; I can send attachments, and will steer clear of em
dashes. (I don't usually bother with the smart quotes, but I get so
annoyed when I receive printed matter on glossy paper in four colors and
16 fonts with two hyphens for a dash that I've take to using the ANSI
code for it wherever I can. Mea culpa.)
	I see that I was, as I feared, trying to reinvent the wheel with my ANSI
printer driver. Thanks, Carl, for saving me the labor. I've hesitated to
download Jumbo U2 for fear of overwriting some of my own cutomizations,
but I'll have to bite the bullet and try it. I'm curious about the font
variations. I know there are problems with char values in PostScript. I
once had a PS printer (after TTG stopped writing printer drivers for
XyWDos) and went crazy trying to modify substitution tables to produce
some unusual accented letters (e.g., o with a breve) for a work with
Korean names in it. It should have been plain sailing but it just didn't
work, and I never did figure out why. Even created a table of decimal,
hex, and octal values.
Patricia M. Godfrey
P and Q Editorial Services