Re: Footnote numbers

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Thu,
20 Sep 2001 12:57:27 -0400

> Your shouldn't need to specifically spec them as superior. As
> the XyWin manual states "By default, footnote numbers in text
> print in superscript mode" (10-24, note 1). I'm pretty sure
> that was the case in DOS too.

If you're referring to my reply to Morris Krok, I think I
distinguished pretty clearly between "footnote numbers in text" and
"footnote numbers in the footnote area" (either at the foot of the
page or, in the case of endnotes, at the end of the document) --
i.e., the numbers preceding the footnotes or endnotes themselves.
If you want superscript in *those* numbers you certainly do need to
"spec" it in .

> The oddity is that in either XyW4 for DOS running in a DOS
> window in 32-bit Win, or in XyWin, the superior numbers only
> appear sup. in WYSIWYG view. In draft or expanded they look
> full-sized.

Nothing odd there. There's never been any WYSIWYG superscript or
subscript in anything other than graphical view. In DOS character-
based displays or in non-graphical, non-eXPanded XyWin display modes
footnote numbers are full-sized but in color, reverse video, or
whatever screen MoDe the user has assigned to superscript. (In
eXPanded view, of course, footnote numbers don't display at all.)

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx