Re: AW: Re: Wireless access (off topic)

I posted to my list on the ethics and legality of piggybacking and got a
mix of positive and negative responses. After reading and sifting them I
decided not to do it. Here's what I posted to my own list, FWIW. The "we"
below refers to my wife and me.

--------------------------------------

The bottom line is that we will not be piggybacking onto
available wireless signals. So far, I don't think that the ethics
and legality of doing it are well established--it's still debatable,
with the outcome depending in part on the resolution of certain
factual issues. But the following points convinced me on an
interim basis.

1. Although the individual providing the signal may not mind
our piggybacking, the value involved is created by the ISP
(internet service provider), and they may not want the extra
load on their capacity. ISPs are not in the business of giving
away internet connectivity.

2. According to one post, some ISPs charge their subscribers
by the volume of their usage, which could mean our additional
usage would incur an expense, however small, for them, which
we do not have the right to do.

3. I don't accept the argument that users who do not take steps
to protect themselves from piggybacking are thereby implicitly
consenting to such use. Most users do not know what is going
on nor that they can configure their systems one way or the
other. By analogy, not locking your front door is not implicit
permission for strangers to enter--especially if most people
don't know that there are such things as locks or how to use
them.

There are also security concerns, as I mentioned in my post,
but that is a practical issue.

I don't think there is reason to get hysterical over
piggybacking, and I wouldn't morally condemn others from
doing it, given the complex and factually up-in-the-air nature of
many aspects of it. I do know that *some* people are
consciously extending to the public their signal, as an issue of
generosity and benevolence of which I approve (though the
point above about the ISP remains an issue). Further, in the
near-future we will all have nationwide, transparent wireless
connectivity in some form or other, so this is a passing issue.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx