Error and Correction beeps

Thanks, John, for that helpful reminder; I once upon a time knew about
ASC(7), but it slipped my mind long ago. I have written a batch file to
generate that, and tested it here (on the old PC) to prove it works. I
will now port it to the new and see what happens. In my case, I'm pretty
sure it's at least partly a hardware problem: the speaker works (tried it
in an ancient 486), and by comparing specs on the mobo docs and actual
connections I got a better lead on the correct positioning of the power
connectors. I also observe that other machines, with sound cards in them,
also emit speaker beeps (e.g., if you boot them up without a keyboard
connected, or with a non-OS floppy in A:); this thing doesn't.
	Carl, I think what John meant was creating a file, with a .BAT
extension, containing ASC(7). That's what I did, anyway, really quick and
dirty:
Open a DOS prompt (because Xy isn't working on this machine)
type
Copy Con c:\beeper.bat[CR]
Echo "This is a beep" [hold down ALT and type 7 on the keypad to embed
the beep character; it will appear on screen at Circumflex G]
Hit the Return/Enter key, then Ctrl Z
You should see "1 File copied"
now type
c:\beeper [CR]
"This is a beep" should appear on sceen, and the beep should sound.
Useful trick for seeing whether anything can produce beeps.
Patricia