DIR not working right

Here’s one for puzzle-solvers. I have a directory C:\DB\XFR which has various files in it, e.g, T.PGM.

Xy can deal with that directory, and that file, in most every way—cd to it, etc.—but it cannot do the DIR command (successfully) if I give the full path:

DIR C:\DB\XFR\T.PGM gives “File not found.”

DIR C:\DB\XFR  gives 0 files found

DIR C:\DB  shows all the files, including

XFR

This behavior  occurs regardless of the directory I’m logged into.

But if I log into C:\DB\XFR and do

DIR T.PGM

it finds it. And while in that directory DIR *.* works normally.

So, prepending the path makes DIR fail . . . but only for THIS directory—e.g.. while logged into C:\DB\XY I can successfully do DIR C:\DB\XY\*.* and DIR C:\DB\XY

Incidentally I checked the ATTRIBs and even forced them to be –H, and I renamed the directory (from _XFR), all to no avail.

One more tidbit. If I shell to DOS from Xy, everything is hunky dory, until I exit back to Xy.

Help appreciated.