Re: XY, Vista, choices [+TAME]

Michael Norman wrote:
Here is an old post from David Thomas:
>I looked into numlock strangeness, anyway. We knew that XY works best if >numlock is on prior to starting it. The numlock toggle in Tame did that -
>but only if it could happen before the first program is run. If Tame is
>loaded in config or autoexec .nt, this was possible. If tame is loaded with >a bat file, it is too late and the numlock toggle in Tame or anywhere else
>will not make it work.
I really don't quite get the numlock issue. I have have long run Xy with
the numlock off; from the first day I had a BIOS that would let me turn
it off at boot I did, because I used the number pad for editing (yes, my
major was not accounting). I've never noticed a "jerky cursor" (see
below) in XP with the numlock off; why should it be a problem when I add
Tame to the mix?
First, I'd experiment by moving Tame.ini from \Samples to \Settings,
then edit the file and remove the semicolon in front of
ResetNumLock  = T. If that fails and you are using a .bat to load
TAME, try loading it instead with Autoexec.nt or an equivalent. Let us
know, please.
Did as requested re tame.ini. Can't see a difference. As for the second part of the question, I have already seen the same results in the past, ie a slow cursor when holding the editing arrow keys under Tame, whether I load Tame via autoexec.nt or a modified autoexec.nt linked only to Xy.
Assuming my green is your green, and my jerky cursor is your jerky
cursor (which I don't take as given), I've noticed tonight that the
arrow keys on the editing keypad repeat more slowly than the arrow keys
on the number keypad in an unTamed windowed XP Xy, at least as far as my
aching eyes can tell, though both move pretty quickly. Tame seems to
slow the repeat rate of the editing keypad arrow keys significantly (to
my eye), but also in such a way that if the keys are held, the cursor
will move a space or two after the key is released. The latter is a
bigger offense than the former; the prime offense, in fact. But using
the number pad arrow keys under Tame circumvents this, making it moot.

Paul Lagasse