The ^&* Alt key

" > 3 Is there a limit to the size of the personal dictionary. Under XyDos
32,000
" > characters or so was the limit, but I am past 48,000 already with XyWindows.
"
" I was under the impression that the limit was 10,000 *lines* in XyDOS v3.5x.
TTG?
" Yoohoo!

That would explain why I hit the limit at different points. I used to watch the
memory usage number and when it got to about 62, I would (actually still do)
transfer out all my Japanese words (a little built-in translator for my work)
into a separate dictionary. This actually worked out OK because it forced me to
look up my new Japanese words. (I never memorized them if Xywrite fixed them
automatically.)

On the Alt key, I am using a modified version of the XW-3 keyboard. It has the
@'s assigned to the ALT + keys, but Windows still grabs them. If I take the
menu line off the screen altogether (by editing the preferences file; can't do
it from the menu), then ALT+ numbers/letters is OK, but Alt+- calls up a Windows
Minimize etc. window. Also, with the menu off altogether, weird stuff just
seems to happen so I gave up.
There is also the reverse problem: if I hit Alt+F for format for example, after
I am done the @F macro has been inserted.
I am going to try defining the right CTRL (not ALT) key as RITALT and assign it
all the @'s. (On my laptop, I have long used the ~` key as RITALT and that
works fine.)

This is the essence of Windows. The other day, my 6-year old daughter managed
to set up my wife in her file in WinWord even though my daughter had never used
WinWord before. Windows (95) is great for her; I never would have left DOS
except that little voice input software is written for DOS (although Dragon
started on DOS).

>---- since you are not
>	subscribed to the enthusiasts' XYwrite list, you
>	may not have seen this answer. I send the first
>	reply to you.

The funny thing is I used to be subscribed (and for a couple of weeks received
many messages) then somehow seem to have become unsubscribed. (I have no memory
of unsubscribing and my log does not show such a message being sent either. Oh
well.
I'll send my original subscription message again.