Re: Simple Desultory Phillipic

  Here's a big, hearty, second to Carl's post. All of it.
  But as for NB: I too was completely mystified as to why XY and NB didn't
just merge. I've been tempted to buy NB but just can't bring myself to pay that
much to step backwards to XY3. And since XyQuest had multilingual versions of
XY out anyway -- about 24 different languages, I believe -- why not just keep
going? Does TTG have any current agreement with NB that precludes them from
moving into the NB market? I should hope not.
  And about multitasking: There's a great deal more to it than just having a
decent print spooler (something I had for years in
DOS, and which windoz doesn't have -- decent, at least). The idea of having to
start up programs, close them down to start other programs, then restart the
other programs -- geez, that's an archaic way to work. XY is up 24 hrs a day on
my machine, along with about 6 other apps, and more are started as needed. A
second session of XY starts up inside my off-line reader automagically (what
I'm using right now) so my other work isn't a bit disturbed. I just can't
imagine having to work any other way now.
  Oh, BTW, does anyone know if the Unix version of XY3 ever got upraded to
XY4?

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx

<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710 Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."    <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi 1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani Roshi  <>