Re: XyWrite Install

" I will not add to the Operating System wars here but I cannot resist the
" crack that Windows has contributed to Congressman Henry Hyde's now famous
" speech about the "dumbing down of America." I realize all to will that you
" have to market your product to what today's users want, but I just have to
" say I hate GUIs, I hate icons, and I have no respect for people who think
" that doing so simple a task as:
" " copy a:*.* c:\xy\data is "arcane."
"
 ----------------------
   .. and I got my XY4 upgrade today (though I prefer XY3 + until
   now). it's is to 4.016, a very small number.
The first disk is:

EDITOR .001  489737 10/13/94 17:46 A---
XYWRITE .001  778896 10/13/94 17:25 A---
DISK  .ID     31 10/13/94 17:20 A---
XYWRITE .INF   33744 10/13/94 17:07 A---
README .PUB   12434 03/05/93 12:43 A---
README .FLT   4137 02/18/93 09:45 A---
README .PRN   12092 02/18/93 09:41 A---
INSTALL .EXE  118336 02/01/93 12:43 A---

   ... but how many of you are annoyed by the "blind" install?
     When I read the readme.pub file I find out how
   to work with my Paperwhite Monochrome monitor;
   that's nice.

   But the user still doesn't know if all the files are
   loaded, doesn't know what else might have been there,
   and has no map of the files.

   All the installation is done by the blindman and the
   elephant.

   The Blessed Version 3 had open install: the files were
   discrete and distinct, visible and manipulable. We
   knew what was where and what the files were about.

   If you encourage the dumbing down of America, (Yoohoo, downthere),
   a script in XPL, or as Saint Tyson put it REXXPL, could
   install simply from distinct files. But as you flatter us
   as advanced users in the short note included, we would
   prefer to copy our own files across to J:\XY4
               Daniel Say
               say@xxxxxxxx

   And for all the huzzah about upgrades, we don't get a
   history file on disk one to find out the various changes
   have been. Many shareware programs do this, some expensive
   software does this. Xy4 doesn't, yet.