Re: please bob the tails

On topic or off, please have mercy on the subscribers to the digest
version and trim the old stuff off the bottom of your reply. You can do
this easily by putting the cursor at the start of the repeat and hitting
CONTROL-SHIFT-END (which highlights to the bottom of the file) and then
delet. Or you can reset the system's preferences to EXCLUDE previous
messages. Or safest of all, put the listserve address in your addressbook
with a short "xy" nickname and use compose instead of reply.

The digest version puts the entirety of all messages into one or two
emails a day. This reduces in-box clutter. (But it includes everything --
all the > and >> and >>> and >>>> chain of previous messages) So when you
leave the trail of previous messages attached to your reply, we digest
folk have to scroll through the whole train to get to the next message.

Netiquette is to strip out all of the old messages except the occasional
phrase needed to clarify what you are referring to. Usually a line or two
suffices.

As for the health and philosophy intrusions here, a little personal stuff
occasionally is interesting, but the longer the insert, the greater the
intrusion. This isn't Hyde Park ... there are better soapbox podia
elsewhere.

But much thanks to Dorothy Day for her telling -- and stunning
--intervention. I'm a mere lurker, but on- or off-topic, I'd like to hear
that level voice on this listserve often and for the longest possible time
to come. Best Wishes, Ted Stannard

=====