Ignorant keyboard question

Can somebody give me an idea how to insert what should be a simple function
into the keyboard?
What I would like to do is program one key in such a way that it gives me a
directory of some often used files and then lets me chose one of them;
similar to the "Favourites" function in NoteTab.

Of course, I could do this easily by prefacing all the files in question
with a marker, i.e.
a hyphen. Then I just needed to enter:
BC dir -*.*
BC ca

But I do not really want to rename my files, or change their directory
locations. They are in different places. Is there a way around this?

That would be great. (I would hate the idea that NoteTab can do something
that XYwrite can't...)

Tia

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
-- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
Wilde)