RE: HP programmable calculator batteries

Marc wrote:

I never gave any thought to amperage requirements - that would be determined by the demand put on the battery pack by the laptop.
Hmm. Shades of Ohm's law, I guess. Voltage is fixed, resistance is fixed, so amperage follows. Okay.
As I mentioned, the cells were AA size, and about 25-30% smaller than the original ones, so the duration of the battery is significantly reduced. But it did prolong the life of the laptop (and made it handy for uploading digital photos to it on the move)
Forgive my confusion but you can recharge regular, cheap AA batteries? Or did you buy an AA-size rechargeable? Harry
mARC -----Original Message----- From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Harry Binswanger Sent: Thursday, 2 March 2006 8:53 p.m. To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: RE: HP programmable calculator batteries Marc, Just want to get clear on the principle here. Are you saying that when one can't get the standard battery, one can still substitute any other combo of batteries that puts out the same voltage, just making an ad-hoc physical connection to the standard input circuitry? That makes perfect sense, but I am kinda surprised that there isn't an issue of matching amperages. I ask because I'd like to try making up substitutes, as you apparently have, for things that use unique, non-standard batteries. >Hi > >I've done the same thing to an old Toshiba laptop battery. >A new one was worth twice what the laptop was worth. >Cut it open, popped out the old batteries. >New batteries were a bit smaller. Hot-glued in 8 batteries soldered together >along with the bi-metallic 'cut-out'. >Fitted a 12v plug to the front of the battery to allow charging from a car >cigarette lighter and presto. >Only got about 1 hour from the batteries, but being able to drive the >charger around the countryside was a bonus. > >Re-chargeable batteries are generally only 1.25v per cell - not 1.5v. > >Marc > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx >[mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of flash >Sent: Thursday, 2 March 2006 4:32 a.m. >To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx >Subject: HP programmable calculator batteries > >Phil White wrote that his HP-65 card programmable calculator's batteries >are kaput. I'm not sure what model that was, but if it's like my HP-25 >programmable calc., you can keep it running on replacement non-HP >batteries. Just cut open the HP battery-holder with a razor, pop out the >original cells, and put in any good quality rechargable 1.5v AA >cells. Then superglue the battery-holder back together. I did. > > Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx