XPL, DLG, Development of XY4, etc.

For Robert Holmgren and anyone else interested -- You have made
some assumptions about XPL, Xyquest, DLG files, etc., that do not
jibe with my experience. I worked for 3 years at Xyquest, as
consultant and as employee, working on the menus for the DOS and Win versions of
Signature and XyWrite. At no time did I experience any of the
cynicism you imply. Our mission was to bring XyWrite into the
modern era, menus and all.
 IBM's involvement turned out to be less than ideal, but one of
the better things they encouraged was the common user interface,
or CUI.

Yes, many of the new XPL features were devised to make the menus
and their underlying code work better. But all or most of the
features were available on the command line -- something we
XyQuestrians insisted upon (there was
*some* pressure to do away with the command line).

(More to come)