XPL, DLG, etc. - part 3

CUI has many advantages, not the least of which is the ability to
migrate among programs and at least sort of know how to operate them. I still use
XY4 every day doing linguistic analysis and writing reports.
When the command line is appropriate, I use it (about 70% of the
time). When the menus are appropriate (I've modified them
greatly with several new and/or improved features), I use them.
I write quick-and-dirty XPL pgms for some text manipulation; for
more extensive stuff, I put in error trapping, file controls, and
even dialog boxes. The beauty of XyWrite is its flexibility.
 My productivity is *much, much* higher than in III+, even tho
*some* things work a little more slowly.

We never got around to writing a specific manual for XPL. With
our finances, it's a wonder we got product out at all. But Art
Campbell did write a book on the newer XPL stuff; I don't know
the title or if it's still in print, but
Art's a good writer and his other books have been very complete and clear.

I hope I've clarified some misconceptions you may have had about
XyWrite and its development philosophy.