Making the Pause key work in Xy3.55 under 95

From: "Olson, Timothy"
>I assume you're not on a network with your computer running Novell's
>Client 32. If you were, that would be your problem right there (discussed
>several months ago on the list). But no, it seems to be just this one key
>that's the problem. It seems that Win95 is trying to retain "rights" to
>the Pause key, not allowing Xy3 control of it. That's where I would start
>in looking for a solution.

Thanks for trying to solve this problem for me, Tim. You are right on
each count above.

>Maybe I missed this before in your description of your macro or what
>you've tried, but have you tried putting the NI (Not IBM) function in
>front of whatever else you have on the Pause key? That might allow your
>macro through. Or sometimes the NO function does it for me.

The key macro has had the NI function on it for five years.

>Another possibility, admittedly a shot in the dark, would be to call up
>the Win95 "Properties" dialog box (which you can get to by right-clicking
>on XyWrite when it's minimized in the taskbar) and adjust some of the
>settings. I'm by no means an expert on this, but it seems that "Prevent
>MS-DOS programs from detecting Windows" (under "Advanced") and
>"Exclusive mode" for the Mouse (under the "Misc" filecard tab) might have
>something to do with this problem. Again, it's a shot in the dark.

I had played with the properties, but not these choices.
Unfortunately, trying them now makes no difference. Oh well.

>Somewhere in your message was mention of the Shift key. So the problem is
>really with Shift+Pause and not just plain Pause?

I don't remember ever saying anything about shift. The key in question
is Pause, all by itself.

>Another idea, mentioned
>on the list a couple months ago, was to rename the tables in your
>keyboard file (anything will do), then put a dummy function at the
>beginning of each key definition. I don't remember what the eventual
>prescription was; there were differing opinions on what was acceptable
>and/or what would work. Would anyone care to elaborate & elucidate on
>that again?

Been there, done that. I had changed the tables many years ago because
the reconfiguration of my keyboard is so extensive. For example, I have
my up and down arrow keys where the Tab and Caps-Lock keys normally are--
duplicating my old Radio Shack Model III keyboard. I also have an
additional Ctrl-type key where [ normally is, also duplicating RSIII.

So I am still stymied. But thanks anyway for the suggestions. Anyone else?

Bob
Bob Zimmerman
13909 Briarwood Drive, #323
Laurel, Maryland 20708