Re: help! (O.T. Reply)

> A pity while you were at it you didn't get the tech guy to partition your
> hard drive and create a separate logical drive for your data. Or even
> two, one for DOS apps and one for data.

You know that all the legions of WIN-people -- up to consultants, trainers,
techies, even -- try to move the newbies and clueless Win masses over to
the Win way of doing things: that is, one humongous C: for *everything*,
and be done with it. (Needless to say, almost none of them at any level
will still be using any DOS programs.) I still find myself fighting this
trend, on the few systems and users I have set up. It seems obvious to me
that this is an ungainly, cumbersome, and just plain BAD way to go. As
time has gone on, other than having to deal with the sheer size of one
uni-monster partition (including just navigating it, no matter what tool
you prefer for doing that), I've forgotten many of the sound arguments
against this practice, when the occasion arises to recite them. The one
that stays with me is having manageable partition sizes for backup /
archiving / imaging purposes.  It is now easy to have a Win-32 C: whose
image won't fit onto a DVD, even if one is able to attain 50 % compression.
Possibly not even a dual-layer DVD. That leaves tape or external
hard-drive as the only options. Also, if all you have is a C:, there is
nowhere to write the image to -- except for an external, USB-connected
device -- because you *can't* image the partition you are working FROM.

Jordan

http://mail2web.com/ .