Re: VERSION 3.56

My wife once wrote a book in French that contained much quoted material which
needed to be reproduced accurately (by the way it was typeset in France at a
small farmhouse operation!, with no trouble direct from diskettes--of course
the typesetters were smart and it took only a few minutes to explain the
embedded to them) and one fact about older French is the continued quotes have
a guillemet on the start of each line (that is a <<). Now suppose you don't
want to put these in "hard" (and this was back before the pseduo-carriage was
invented) but to float with editing and yet you want them visible not put in
just before print. What to do? Use column table to make two columns the first
one is only 1 character long [This worked most of the time--I now realize that
problems were caused by the fact that the character was really THREE bytes and
sometimes we'd get that annoying AE or E there] Anyway there's a bizarre use
for CT!