RE: off topic electric camera problems help needed

I hope someone figures out a way for you to save the images you already took.

For the future my advice would be to simply reformat the card when you need more space on it.. I have a Nikon D70, and both the manual and everyone on the user groups for the camera recommend that the card be reformatted after removing pics you need.

They strong suggest that merely erasing the images is NOT the best procedure, and can – and does, when you need the images the most -- result in lost images and general mayhem.

From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Avrom Fischer
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:50 PM
To: Xywrite
Subject: off topic electric camera problems help needed

I know that some people (including my own children) have labeled xywrite users Luddites but I have found that this user group is among the most technically sophisticated groups I know of, a fact that Robert in a different context has commented on.  My friend Norman Friedman, who is the author of more than 25 books published by the Naval Institute Press, has a serious technical camera problem and was wondering if members of the list could held him or recommend someone who could hold him.

 He wrote me as follows:

The camera is a Canon A620, and the card is a 2 Gbyte SD card.

       It is conceivable that I messed
up the card myself by hitting the wrong button the day before the crash,
but it kept registering shots after that. When I turned on the camera
the next morning, it registered 'Memory Problem.' I pulled out the card
and re-inserted it. The camera then acted as though nothing was on the
card (rather than the approximately 2000 shots I had done the previous
day). I immediately pulled it and substituted another card, which worked
perfectly. When I got home I put the card in a reader (a Wolverine with
a 60 G hard disk, that I use to dump cards before dumping the images
into the computer). The Wolverine refused to 'mount' the card; on one
occasion it read 'no partition detected.' That suggests that the card's
equivalent of a root directory had been wiped out, and that the images
may survive, albeit not in proper order.
    I should explain that I was using the camera for research, shooting
pictures of pages of documents in an archive (in this case, the British
Public Record Office -- World War I era stuff). I was shooting at
minimum resolution, which makes text readable but allows me to stuff
very large numbers of images onto one card. This really works rather
well; it is like having a personal Xerox machine but not having to carry
a ton of paper. But it does not work too well if you get home and find
that you are without the goodies.
    Any advice will be extremely welcome.