Re: Dos Box creepers and more

michael.norman@xxxxxxx wrote:

> At 11/7/2002 11:27 PM -0500, Martin J. Osborne wrote:
> >     At work do you have Virtual PC or VMWare? Does it work
> > well? Can one
> >use XyWrite, running in the W98 virtual machine, to edit all files
> >(including ones on the W2K machine? Can you cut an paste between
> >programs running under different OSs? Is switching between XyWrite on
> >the W98 to a program running under W2K as simple as pressing alt-Tab as
> >in a single OS system?

Michael will report whatever he finds out, but, on the basis of a couple
extensive demos I have witnessed, I think I can take a preliminary shot at
this. The demos were arranged by Serenity Systems, the distributor of
EcomStation, the successor to OS/2. In one, more involved than what you are
asking about, eCS was co-resident with Linux _and_ W2K. It was possible to
shuttle between the OSes, and app.s running under them, much as you could
shuttle between the multi-tasking programs running under your one OS. I don't
recall any DOS programs being involved in the demo, so I can't specifically
extrapolate to what Xy could or could not do in this scenario. Live exchange
between programs running under the co-resident OSes is bound to be one of the
more difficult and demanding features one could ask for, it seems to me (and I
don't recall that being addressed in the demo), so I'm afraid I have no answer
for you there. This would have to raise the issue of locked files. However, I
expect there must be continuing access to the clipboard feature of each
respective OS, and perhaps there is some provision for an inter-OS clipboard ?
(It seems like this would be one feature of obvious value, for those going the
emulation route.) The VPC publisher ought to have that answer for you, or
perhaps there is a faq on the product somewhere. In any case, having your data
files located on some shared data partition that each OS can see & access,
should facillitate any workarounds that may be necessary.

Jordan