Re: Footnotes/End notes formatting

At 02:57 PM 1/11/2008, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Michael Norman wrote:
make non-fiction books more reader-friendly, publishers who feel that general readers -- rather than specialized readers, which is to say, scholars -- are annoyed by those little numbers that keep popping up at the end of sentences,
Oh, for pity's sake. I learned to make footnotes in High School (and
to understand them when I found them in books). How much more must
we change the traditions of hundreds if not thousands of years to
accommodate the refusal of the so-called educational system to educate?
Education? It's commerce and convention we're talking about.
Customers, and what they want and don't want, as well as the changing
forms and styles of discourse. Take a peek at the most recent Chicago
Manual of Style. Lots of changes from the last edition. AFIK, no one
is talking about eliminating textual notes.
Michael Norman