Re: NB filter question

At 02:58 PM 12/02/99 +0900, Rene von Rentzell wrote:

>Oh, the brute force approach? Well, that I can do with any text editor;
>even with the 3 k "TED.COM" that DOS Magazine once published as a kind of
>practical joke.

That you can.

>But where does that leave the formatting? The meaning of RTF is, to remind
>you, to carry formatting across formats.

You'd have to gauge that for yourself. At first glance, the formatting
seems intact. We poor journalists don't have to worry about fancy formats,
though, so I'm hardly the best judge.

>Of course. I can also open in MSWord first, or use "Word for Word" or any
>number of detours. However, this is not something I want to explain to
>people I might be recommending the software to, and asking for an RTF
>filter seems hardly unreasonable.

More reasonable, perhaps, than the other choices: 1) using a creaky old
word processor that can't do everything that editors are coming to expect
or 2) using a slow and clunky program that tries to do too many things and
can't do any of them well. Which of those choices would you recommend?

A third possibility is that Anne Putnam, who is exceptionally reasonable
herself and has been very responsive to my requests so far, will take pity
on you and add an RTF filter to 5.005 when it comes out. Have you asked her?

Don't get me wrong: I have no particular brief for Nota Bene. Even with the
XyWrite keyboard, it seems strange and unfamiliar to me, but I've been
experimenting with it and like the results well enough that I ordered the
full Scholar's Workstation program. I've used some form of XyWrite for 12
years, so making the change is not easy. But sometimes life goes on.

Richard A. Sherer
rasherer@xxxxxxxx