Re: Screen Lengths

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Sun,
18 May 2008 14:31:01 -0400

Patricia:

> > What do you mean by "titlebar"? The window border? Try
> > setting Default MW=0, which suppresses borders when a new
> > window is opened.
>
> No, the solid color bar with one's icon, the name of the
> shortcut, and the--what _are_ they called?--the three little
> squares for minimize, resize, maximize that sits at the top of
> any app running under Windows.

Oh, I see; you're talking about a windowed DOS session. It seems to
me that the display-font size, rather than the titlebar, would be
likely to affect *visible* screen length. A large font may cause
some lines to fall below the bottom of the window and thus not to be
displayed in the graphical rendering of the DOS screen (even though
the lines are actually "there" as far as the VDM is concerned, which
can be verified by toggling to full-screen with Alt-Enter). On the
rare occasions when I toggle to a windowed session, I normally use
an 8x18 raster font, which displays the expected text area of
-3 lines, but if I increase it to, say, 16x36, the display is
truncated at Bottom_of_Screen by several lines -- even when the
window is "maximized". (Obviously, all bets are off if the graphical
window size has been decreased.) As I recall, Patricia, you favor a
large display font. Could that be it?

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx