OT: CD Longevity

Perhaps like many of you, I've been putting a lot of reliance into the
medium of CDs, for storage, backup, etc. It is quite possible this
reliance has been misplaced. I am thinking of the (to date) 3 data
CDs from 2000 I've discovered that have become unreadable, although
these were not made by me. I'm not sure if any that I have burned
fall into this category.

Check out this short piece + User Reports:

  http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7751

There are some graphics, which may not render in older browsers.

I don't see why this would not also apply to DVDs, where the data
capacity would result in a much greater loss. When you think about
this, the implications for archival storage of all kinds of important
material is potentially dire.

Jordan