Re: Need advice on MS Word (if anyone can stand it)

I wouldn't invite a thread on Word, but Eric has been involved for long
enough that he is entitled to a side issue. My answer: Word is an
extremely complex, counter-intuitive, and buggy program. Trying to use
it without a manual is ridiculous. If you don't have the official one,
get an unofficial one. For Word97, the Que "special edition" manual is
excellent. Reading it over convinced me to install WordPerfect instead.

Those who are already using a recent version of Word will also want to
get _Word 97 Annoyances,_ which gives a full account of bugs and asinine
"features" that have gone unfixed in version after version, as well as
suggestions (mostly not at all obvious) for getting round them.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science