Re: On button, & straight to the Command Line

On 14 Dec 00, at 11:57, Leslie Bialler wrote:

> The best way to run _any_ DOS version of XyWrite under Win 9x, NT, or (I
> would suppose) ME is to go to My Computer, right click on the editor icon,
> click on create shortcut, drag the icon to the desktop, and click on it:
> you are in business. Trying any other approach (such as, but not limited
> to, opening the program in a DOS Window or running the program in DOS only
> mode) will create conditions that, as Alice observed when regarding
> bottles marked poison, are likely to disagree with you sooner or later.

I do both, so far with few problems.

I have a shortcut on the desktop, which I use a lot.

But I also have a bunch of batch files for special projects, which got to a
certain directory and load XyWrite from there with the local startup.int file
with a set of save/gets, and sometimes a supplementary spelling directory,
for that project. For those I go to the DOS prompt and type the name of the
batch file.

> While I have your attention, friends, mention was made in another thread
> that 3.52 is the best XyWrite version. Nonsense! It is insanity to use
> 3.52. If you insist on clinging to 3+ at least use 3.55 or above. 3.55
> (issued in 1989 or 1990) contained many bug fixes and improvements not
> found earlier. It's the "classic" XyWite. It's a '57 Chevy two-toned
> yellow and white hardtop.
>
> I realize this may come as a shock to those who like monochrome monitors
> and/or believe God wants the F keys on the left. Nevertheless it is true.

I know it's true, but I still believe God intended F-keys to be on the left.
Try going through a long file deleting extraneous lines, sometimes 1,
sometimes two or three. Pressing Alt-F5 is VERY tiring with the function keys
on top.

Keep well,

Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@xxxxxxxx